Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Reflection on White Power McIntosh

This Piece really opened my eyes to the fact that white power is "invisible". This Statement that McIntosh made actually opened my mind and I believe that it is true. Growing up as a white, middle class child, in a nice house, in a great area, I never really realized the nice things that were given to me, and that opportunities that I had for being white. Some white people think that because they are white think that they are soupier to everyone else, and McIntosh argues that.  I can walk around holding my head straight and don't really have to worry about looking around to see who's watching me but that is not the case for a lot of people of different races in this country. I even catch myself doing it at work with the security guards (I don't mean to do it, and by no means am I racist) but we worry about other races a whole lot more than whites, when in fact we end up catching more white people stealing than we do of people of other races. but this piece opened my eyes to how white power is invisible, and is in our everyday life, and we may do it and don't even realize it.

No comments:

Post a Comment